Sunday 21 November 2010

Think Gamestop is bad? You clearly haven’t been to GAME in England

Today I’m going to take a quick break from talking about space (don’t worry, the following article will be a tribute to the International Space Station) and instead I’ll talk about Gamestop.


I listen to several gaming podcasts, a number of which are American, and something I’ve heard mentioned a number of times is how irritating gamers find shopping at Gamestop. I went to a gamestop during my time in Chicago, and honestly, I didn't mind it. Why not? The UK equivalent is a store called “GAME” which you will find in any given town or City in England.

GAME - the horrible British version of Gamestop
Let me tell you, if you think that Gamestop is bad, you’ve clearly never been to GAME. It was reported that in the Fiscal Year 2009-2010, GAME had a rough time. I’m not surprised, given their frankly awful customer service.  Let me talk you through my usual customer journey every time I make the mistake of setting foot in a GAME store.

Now before I continue, let me add this disclaimer: I am what I would call a “proper gamer”. In other words, not a casual gamer. But, if anyone from GAME is reading this, don’t use that as an excuse; funnily enough, it is logical to assume that a good chunk of GAME’s customers  are “proper gamers”, so you’d damn sure better think about how you treat them.


I walked into a GAME store in my home town. My mission was clear, I wanted to purchase a copy of Forza Motorsport 3 . I was dressed casually; jeans, t-shirt, and a jacket. I had my earphones in my ears, probably listening to some Anamanaguchi. Point is, I didn’t look like I was lost, unsure, or in any way like I didn’t belong in that store.

But still one of the circling vultures took it upon his commission-seeking self to engage me in a patronising sales pitch. Now here’s where you might think, “But hang on, that’s just the poor guy's job.” I disagree. If it is his Job, he’s doing it wrong, and GAME is setting poor objectives.

Let me recreate that conversation: -

GAME Lemming: Hi, are you looking for anything in particular?
Me: (Takes earphones out) Pardon?
GAME Lemming: Are you looking for anything in particular?
Me: Yeah, this (holds up Forza 3)
GAME Lemming: OK, you like racing games? Have you pre-ordered Need For Speed HP2?
Me: No, I’m not a huge racing gamer, I’m just getting it to play with friends online.
GAME Lemming: Oh, you’re online, would you like to buy 2100 MS points?
Me: No, no thank you.
GAME Lemming: Have you tried playing racing games with a steering wheel? We have those too.
Me: No, look, I’m not really a fan of racers, I’m more an FPS player. I’m just gonna go pay for this now.
GAME Lemming: Oh, FPS? Have you heard of Halo: Reach? It’s coming out next week. You can pre-order it now and get discount!
Me: Thanks, but really I’m pressed for time, I’ll just go pay for this now.
GAME Lemming: You heard of Medal of Honor?

At this point, I’d had enough; that was the final straw. I’ve heard of customer service, and I’ve heard of sales. This was neither. This moron was neither helping me, nor doing a good job of promoting sales. He was simply harassing me, and patronising me. I felt like turning that Forza 3 case sideways and…well… you figure the rest. Here’s how the conversation ended: -

Me: Hmm, ‘Halo’, you say? Perhaps I’ll be able to play it when I go to the EuroGamer Expo in London next week. Although I really did enjoy the beta version. Most of the Games Journalists in podcasts I’ve listened to have said it is great, so I’ll probably pick up a copy once it’s released. What games are you playing?
GAME Lemming: …I…Ummm…. Don’t really play games…
Me: (walks to counter and pays for Forza.)

Now I know what you are thinking, I was harsh to that poor employee. But that wasn’t the first incident. In fact, any time I visit any GAME store, I endure the same, nightmarish harassment.

GAME: if you are reading this please re-think your sales strategy. Stop harassing actual gamers, you will only alienate them. Look on any gaming website at the forums, and you will quickly see that most gamers are far worse, far less patient than I am. So if I refuse to shop at GAME (and I do), how many other customers do you think your insane sales strategy has alienated?
And you wonder why Gamestop is on the verge of buying you out?

7 comments:

  1. Obviously a biased review of GAME right here. i in no way work for GAME, but it's so damn obvious you've twisted the words. the employee was obvious trying to be helpful and make conversation, and you're gone and stirred it. to say you receive the same service in all other GAME stores is also complete drivel. never has anything like this happened to me. looks like someone just has a grudge against GAME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fully agree with W there, this article really does not reflect the service received in GAME. My experience in several stores throughout the country has been consistently good, and the staff always know what they are doing. I'll get a cursory "Can I help you?" when I enter the store, and when I reply in the negative they will smile and leave me be.

    I have never had a bad experience with GAME, and I object to this article painting the store chain in such a bad light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I appreciate your concern. Thanks for reading the article.
    The problem is that he clearly didn't want to be in that converstaion. It seemed forced, and it was clear that he had been told in no uncertain terms to "sell, sell sell, at any cost". He was inconsiderate in that he demanded I listen to his sales pitch, even though I was clearly listening to music, and it was obvious that I knew what I was doing(heading for the till with a carefully chosen game).

    It just feels to me like harrassment, and I seem to get it in any GAME store I visit.
    It hasn't always been this way, it seems to have gotten worse over the last year or so, which leads me to beleive that they have had a big, strategic sales push.

    I'm just saying that this is misdirected, and they would do well to consider their target demographic's real needs.

    If you have had a great experience, that's great too, and I envy you!

    Seriously though, thanks for reading and taking the time to feedback. I'm sorry if you feel I am biased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. W and Mark of course the article is a bias review I do recall MrAnthonyDR saying that this was his experience with the 'game' store. He never said that he was conducting a scientific experiment or that this was applicable to all the stores in the UK, he specifically said his 'home town' city. He is entitled to his opinion. Now W and Mark one might consider MrAnthonyDR article bias, but isn't it a bit too arrogant to assume that MrAnthonyDR experience doesn't count, when yours should? Unless only you three shop at 'game'- what I believe is not correct - two people cannot claim to be a significant sample!!
    I suggest a properly conducted research I would like to see who's opinion can be generalised.
    I have been to the store a few times before however as I'm not a 'proper gamer' I never paid much attention to the customer service, shame!

    Ps: W, I so think you work for 'game', please don't take offence

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the exact same experience every time I go to game and it pisses me off. The other day I went to buy MS points and the checkout person could clearly see that I was counting out small coins to pay for it, indicating I probably didn't have much money. However, the "lemming" still asked me "would you like to buy 3 months xbox live subscription?", "No, just this" I said, pointing to the MS points box, "You know the nintendo 3ds is coming out, are you interested in that?" "no I don't play handheld games, I just want this", "Well you can put a deposit down on the 3ds or preorder a few games" I got so annoyed that I just threw the money down on the counter and said I didn't want to buy anything else. When he looked at the name on my loyalty card he decided to inform me "I know your brother and sister". "Fantastic" I said and walked out of the shop. Then I realised the cunt hadn't given me a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean! Since I wrote this article I have moved house, and my new GAME is a little better but still pretty shallow.

    ReplyDelete