Tuesday 8 February 2011

Wheaton’s Law – Why I Don’t Negotiate With Terrorists


I like to think of myself as a level-headed, tolerant person. I get on with 99% of people, and I try to conduct myself in public fairly, and with a sense of humour. As a British person, I strive to be a gentleman in all ways that I can – that’s the true mark of a man. This code of conduct applies equally to real world interaction and internet interaction.

The internet has become a place where controversial statements are considered humorous. There is a general understanding among our generation about things said on the internet; how they should be accepted and interpreted. 

There’s only one hard fast rule, one unwritten internet law that is unofficially enforced by the hive mind. This rule was first formally vocalised and by renowned ‘geek’ overlord Will Wheaton. That rule is known as Wheaton’s Law. Google it.


I have a very strict policy for this law. I am amicable, and polite, and sociable with all people online, until they break this law. Know this: when you break this law, there are no “Three Strikes”, no second chances. Break this law, and I’ll never interact with you again online.
 
No arguments. No discussion. No finger-pointing and no discourse. Like Dragon’s Den, “I’m out!

So, for example:
If a person expresses that they do not like things that I write on the internet, be they Blog Posts, Facebook updates, Tweets, Forum Posts, or anything else, that is fine. It is their decision, I do not force them to read things that I write. I don’t force anyone to be my friend on Facebook, or to follow me on Twitter. 

But if you send me more than one comment saying that you do not approve of what I post online, then I will make sure that you never see my posts again. Because if you do not like my posts, and are too stupid to figure out how to stop reading them, then I will gladly help you! You will be gone from my Facebook friends. Blocked on Twitter. Blog comments banned.

If you don’t like me, then I’ll disappear. One thing I will not do is change what I post simply because of your opinion.

I do NOT negotiate with terrorists. End of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment